The 10-year roadmap, funded through the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF), was announced in the 2019-20 budget underpinned by research focused on heart disease and stroke.
According to the roadmap, cardiovascular disease results in premature death and disability and is responsible for one-in-three deaths - around 43,500 deaths in Australia each year.
It identifies six 'flagship strategic areas' for investment - drug discovery, bioengineering, precision medicine, data, clinical trials, and implementation and policy.
Mr Hunt also announced the members of the Mission for Cardiovascular Health Expert Advisory Panel. They are:
- Professor Gemma Figtree (Chair), University of Sydney;
- Professor Garry Jennings AO, Chief Medical Advisor, National Heart Foundation;
- Professor Emily Banks, Australian National University;
- Dr Ray Mahoney, CSIRO;
- Mr Chris Nave, Managing Director, Brandon Capital Partners;
- Ms Jennifer Tucker, Consumer Advocate, National Heart Foundation;
- Professor David Winlaw, Children’s Hospital Westmead;
- Professor Livia Hool, University of Western Australia;
- Professor Dominique Cadilhac, Monash University;
- Dr James Hudson, QIMR Berghofer; and,
- Professor Julie Bernhardt, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health.